Bugle #36: Inside the Revolution at Etsy
Happy Hanukkah! And since we won’t be in touch again until the 29th, we’ll also wish you a Merry Christmas, Festivus, and any other holiday you celebrate! Whew.
Almost 2 weeks ago, we launched a whole new editing experience. This was a huge change, so we’ve spent the last couple of weeks cleaning things up and making tweaks. We’ve been using the new editor to help new customers import their handbook and man, is it nice. Please email us if you have any feedback or need help.
Lucky for you we still had time to compile the best HR, leadership, and policy management articles from the past 2 weeks. Enjoy and have a super weekend!
✦ ✦ ✦
Article of the Week: This week’s highlighted article (look for the ✦ below) takes an inside look at the recent changes at Etsy. The entire situation makes you wonder how compatible this example of capitalism (activist hedge fund investment in public companies) is with employee/customer happiness and doing social good. Similar things are happening at GE and both will be interesting case studies some day.
Show Employees You Care
- Making Company Culture More Than a Rah Rah Activity
- Where Employee Surveys on Burnout and Engagement Go Wrong
- Conversation Killers: Interrupting/Monopolizing, Minimizing/Discounting, Opposing/Arguing, and Not Paying Attention
- Not Silicon Valley’s Talent Pipeline
Protect Your Company
- What Now? 5 Steps to Take if Your Probe Doesn’t Corroborate Harassment Allegations
- Go Ahead and Pull Those Old Employee Handbooks Out of the Trash!
Location Specific Company Protection
- California: New Year, New Laws: 2018 Employment Roundup
- New York: Paid Family Leave Update
- Various States: Exempt Employee Pay Minimums Will Increase in 2018
- San Francisco: New Lactation Ordinance Becomes Effective 1/1/2018