Bugle #40: How to Hire
Happy Friday, Folks! Our February started off on a high note as our co-Founder Sam and his wife welcomed their second child into the world.
We made sure to set aside some time to put together the week’s best HR, leadership, and policy management articles for you. Lots of state lawmakers getting 2018 started with a bang – make sure you check those out so you can keep your company protected. Have a gratuitously fun weekend!
✦ ✦ ✦
Article of the Week: This week’s highlighted article (look for the ✦ below) is a deep dive into some best practices around hiring. Hopefully it will help you and your company find the best fits for your job openings!
Show Employees You Care
- ✦ Patty McCord (of Netflix Culture Code fame) tells us How To Hire ✦
- How to Be Friends with Someone Who Works for You
- 4 Ways to Avoid Employee Survey Fatigue
Protect Your Company
- The ADA usually doesn’t require accommodating an employee’s first choice of yoga classes
- Investigating Claims of Harassment, Part 3: Interviewing the Accused and Other Witnesses
- Investigating Claims of Harassment, Part 4: Note-Taking Techniques and Tips for Assessing Witness Credibility
Location-Specific Company Protection
- NYC: Updates “Sexual Orientation” And “Gender” Definitions
- Massachusetts: Reminder – Pregnant Workers Fairness Act Goes into Effect April 1, 2018
- Missouri: Kansas City Enacts “Ban-the-Box-Plus” Ordinance, Effective June 9, 2018
- Puerto Rico: New Act Established – Special Paid Leave for Employees Suffering from Catastrophic Illnesses, Effective February 20, 2018
- Maryland: Paid Sick Leave Takes Effect February 11 Despite Governor’s Veto